[Clp] cutting stock problem

Esben Mose Hansen esben at ange.dk
Mon Jun 22 09:21:55 EDT 2009

On Thursday 18 June 2009 22:55:05 Kane, Rick wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for an open source software solution to help me solve a common
> manufacturing problem where we need to cut a number of smaller width rolls
> out of larger width rolls optimizing for the minimum amount of waste,
> minimum number of patterns, and minimum number of knife changes.
>
> In looking at various algorithms I believe a solution can be provided via
> linear programming which has led me to the COIN site.
>
> Unfortunately I know little of LP and I'm struggling to understand it.
> I've downloaded, compiled, and ran example programs from Clp, Cbc, and Cgl.

The wikipedia article is actually pretty good.

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Cutting_stock_problem

It is an integer problem, which applies itself very well to column generation.
I found the ABACUS framework a very simple way to do this.

Feel free to write me if you need further help. Or you could even contact my
company, Ange Optimization, who specializes in that sort of problems and open
source solutions in general.

--
kind regards, Esben
Ange Optimization Aps