[Clp] Solving a model many times with small changes

Drotos Marton marton.drotos at sztaki.hu
Fri Oct 3 03:54:19 EDT 2008

Dear list members,

I am writing a Branch&Bound procedure with Langrangian relaxation (using an
LP). This means that a CLPSimplex model is solved many times consecutively
with small changes in the objective function / fixing some variables. After
modifying the objective function and bounds on some columns I solve the model
with ClpSimplex::dual(0, 7) (it seems that the dual is slightly faster for my
problem than the primal). I suppose this way the simplex method uses as much
information from the previous run as possible.

Are there any tricks or 'best practices' to accelerate this procedure (e.g. to
use more information from previous solutions)?

The size of the model is around 5000-10000 cols x 500-1000 rows. Most of the
colums are 0, the columns have bounds 0 <= x <= 1. All rows are either = 1 or
<= 1, and the coeffient of the variables in the rows is 0 or 1. I use
the 'official' Debian Lenny package of CLP.

Thank you for your help,

Marton Drotos