[Clp] patch for Visual C++ floating-point model problem

Arno Schödl aschoedl at think-cell.com
Sun Aug 10 17:20:52 EDT 2008

> The basic issue is ancient. Do not compare floats without a precision guard.

I am sure John is aware of the general problem. The problem here is a little more specific and only occurs with x87 floating point. The problem goes away with x64, which uses SSE2 floating point. Reviewing the code is still a good idea...

Matthew: I already tried these MSVC settings. From the spec, /fp:precise should help, but is slower. In addition, it did not do the right thing in Visual C++ 2008, probably compiler bug. /fp:strict fixed the problem, but is even slower. gcc uses the equivalent of /fp:fast as default. Overall, I'd favor this most general model.

Arno

Dr. Arno Schoedl · aschoedl at think-cell.com
Technical Director

think-cell Software GmbH · Invalidenstr. 34 · 10115 Berlin, Germany
http://www.think-cell.com · phone +49-30-666473-10 · fax +49-30-666473-19
Geschäftsführer: Dr. Markus Hannebauer, Dr. Arno Schoedl · Amtsgericht Charlottenburg, HRB 85229