[Coin-lpsolver] Clp questions

John J Forrest jjforre at us.ibm.com
Mon Sep 24 11:58:23 EDT 2007

Gleb,

First an update on your reported bug.  This arose because when you save
and restore factorizations etc the part of the code which cleans up status
of variables was not entered.  The only time this mattered was when a
fixed variable had its bounds relaxed.  This is not the case for normal
strong branching as bounds are only ever being tightened.  I have modified
code in stable/1.5 and trunk.  This will slow down the code by a
nanosecond or two.

> Some general Clp questions...
>
> Is it possible to set a limit on the objective, so that simplex stops
> after reaching a certain value?

If you mean when using dual then there is setDualObjectiveLimit.  If you
mean when using primal then there is not.  What you would have to do is
create a ClpEventHandler object (see Clp/src/unitTest.cpp) and check
objective whenever Clp factorizes.

> What basis status is given to new variables? (needed to save the basis
> status array  and restore after adding new vars)

Columns are set to bound nearest zero.  New slacks are made basic.