[Coin-lpsolver] CBC infinite loop?

Ricky O'Brien rickob at internode.on.net
Mon Apr 16 06:08:04 EDT 2007

We have an MPS file that seems to go into an infinite loop.  We have
confirmed this with both cbc.exe and by submitting the MPS file to the
neos server (which timed out after 4 or 5 hours).  The problem only
seems to occur when some penalty terms in our model are violated and
large objective values are produced.  From the log file it appears as if
the optimum solution is found (in a few minutes) but the post processing
doesn't ever finish (if we turn preprocessing off on cbc.exe we get a
solution in a few minutes).

We have found a bug report from February, 16, 2007, that reports an
infinite loop in CBC, but l'm not sure if the bug has been fixed yet,
or, if it has the same cause?  We normally only update the source code
when stable releases are made and we haven't updated for a few months,
so we were wondering if this is something that could have been fixed
since February?

Thanks for any help,
Ricky O'Brien