[Coin-lpsolver] Problem with COIN MIP solver

John J Forrest jjforre at us.ibm.com
Fri Nov 17 10:47:24 EST 2006

In continuous solution all integer variables are at 0 or 1 apart from two
at 0.02.  So unless integer tolerance >=0.02 it seems unlikely.

John Forrest

             Andrew Makhorin
             <mao at gnu.org>
             coin-lpsolver-bou         coin-lpsolver at list.coin-or.org
             nces at list.coin-or                                          cc
             .org
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [Coin-lpsolver] Problem with
             11/17/06 09:43 AM         COIN MIP solver

             Please respond to
              Andrew Makhorin
               <mao at gnu.org>

>> With the commercial package, the objective value that we get is
>> 39361.67, however COIN is giving an objective value of 37668.9 .
>
> Probably 37668.9 is wrong solution, and 39361.67 seems to be correct.
> Is it possible that 37668.9 is considered as integer feasible within
> a tolerance? (I mean coin mip solver.)

The point is that dual solution components of that instance are highly
sensitive to round-off errors, and small perturbation of its source data
(with relative error about 1e-10) significantly changes the optimal
basis of lp relaxation.

Andrew Makhorin