[Coin-lpsolver] COIN/Cbc/Samples/qmip.cpp

John J Forrest jjforre at us.ibm.com
Thu Mar 9 22:00:47 EST 2006

Yiming,

I agree the partial derivative is -1 but that variable is at its upper
bound.  I looked at computation of gradient and it seemed to check out.

John

Yiming Yao <yao3 at llnl.gov>
Sent by: coin-lpsolver-bounces at list.coin-or.org
03/09/2006 07:26 PM

John J Forrest/Watson/IBM at IBMUS
cc
coin-lpsolver at list.coin-or.org
Subject
Re: [Coin-lpsolver] COIN/Cbc/Samples/qmip.cpp

John,

Thanks for looking into it and quickly replying to my question.

I've not verified that the objective function (f) is nonconvex. Whether
it's convex or not, the solution (N0C0=N1C0=N2C0=N3C0=1 and
N0C1=N1C1=N2C1=N3C1=0) shouldn't be a local minimum because the gradient
of f is not a 0-vector at this point. (The partial derivative wrt N0C0 =
1-8+4+2= -1.)

Is it possible that something in CbcModel has caused the B&B process to
stop prematurely?

Best regards,

Yiming