[Coin-lpsolver] Re: New branching ideas for CBC

Jean-Sebastien Roy js at jeannot.org
Mon Nov 28 13:03:30 EST 2005

Irv Lustig wrote:
> Please let's not get into a discussion of open source versus commerical
> software.  That's not what the issue is.  I'm asking whether there are
> things that you need to do as a researcher with COIN that are not
> possible with CPLEX.  That was the question that I posed.

A very small point: for example, as far as I know, using CLP you can
extract a ray without disabling the presolve (which may be required when
using CPLEX).

Regards,

js

PS: On a side note, as a researcher open source vs commercial *is* very
much an issue: for example, I cannot run CPLEX on the systems I use for
research (Mac OS X and FreeBSD).