Aritifical variables, was: Re: [Coin-lpsolver] Parametric Analysis using CLP + OSI

John J Forrest jjforre at us.ibm.com
Wed Mar 9 05:05:11 EST 2005

Paulo,

A valid basis may need artificial variables.  For instance if two rows of
the matrix are identical an artificial must be in basis.

John Forrest

"Paulo J. S. Silva" <pjssilva at ime.usp.br>
Sent by: coin-lpsolver-bounces at list.coin-or.org
03/08/2005 01:13 PM

coin-lpsolver at list.coin-or.org
cc

Subject
Aritifical variables, was: Re: [Coin-lpsolver] Parametric Analysis using
CLP + OSI

> Paulo,
>
> It depends how you are picking up basis information.  With a problem
> of  n columns and m rows Clp numbers the structural variables (column)
> 0 through n-1 and the artificial/slack variables n through n+m-1.
>
> John Forrest

In that case what I do is:

s.initialSolve()
s.enableSimplexInterface(True)
s.getBasics(basics)

If I look at basics I get a 469 in the basis. My problem has 460
variables and 198 rows. Hence, using your explanation, it looks like
there are still artificial variables in the basis.

Is there a way to pick up a "valid" basis, using only structural
variables?

Paulo
--
Paulo José da Silva e Silva
Professor Assistente do Dep. de Ciência da Computação

e-mail: pjssilva at ime.usp.br        Web: http://www.ime.usp.br/~pjssilva

Teoria é o que não entendemos o    (Theory is something we don't)
suficiente para chamar de prática. (understand well enough to call)
                                   (practice)