[Coin-lpsolver] Autoconf

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Mon Jun 20 14:35:55 EDT 2005

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005, Jean-Sebastien Roy wrote:

> Kyle Ellrott wrote:
>> I'm curious, is there any over riding reason why COIN isn't built with
>> an autoconf/automake/libtool based system?

The main reason is that we don't have any volunteers with the expertise
and time to build a proper set of scripts.  We do plan to get there
eventually.

Now, if you do have the time and the expertise, and you'd like to
volunteer...

> As I'm only a COIN user, I don't know why it does not use autoconf and co.,
> but the current build system is, in my view, faster, much easier to
> understand, adapt and debug than the thousand lines of shell script and m4
> used in the autotools.

Of course, some of the slowness is related to robustness, as there can be
a large number of system tests and steps carried out in autotools that we
don't do in the makefiles.  Makefiles (at least as ours are currently
configured) can require a substantial amount of human intervention to get
to work properly in different environments.

> I have to maintain a few softwares that use autotools: when it works out of
> the box, it is fine; but when it does not, it is hell.

Agreed, and we don't want to do it if we can't do it well, for exactly
this reason.

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences