[Coin-lpsolver] checkClear() in createRim() and NDEBUG compilation flag

John J Forrest jjforre at us.ibm.com
Tue Aug 16 10:23:29 EDT 2005

Kish,

Yes please send program - I do want to find the bug but can't reproduce on
my computer.

John Forrest

Kish Shen <ks15 at icparc.ic.ac.uk>
Sent by: coin-lpsolver-bounces at list.coin-or.org
08/15/2005 04:40 PM

coin-lpsolver at list.coin-or.org
cc

Subject
Re: [Coin-lpsolver] checkClear() in createRim() and NDEBUG compilation
flag

Hi John,

John Forrest <jjforre at us.ibm.com> wrote:

>If it fails it is a serious bug.  The checkClear is expensive so should
not be
>in for production work.  Try if a clear() before gets rid of error and if
so

I am also running into this assert failure in several problems, when I use
Clp
in conjunction with Cbc:

Cbc0015I Node 40 Obj 931.231 Unsat 77 depth 26
Coin0507I Presolve determined that the problem was infeasible with
tolerance of 1e-08
eclipse.exe: ClpSimplex.cpp:3367: bool ClpSimplex::createRim(int, bool,
int): Assertion `rowArray_[iRow]->capacity()==length' failed.
Signal 6

I have been trying various MIP problems with Osi/Cbc/Clp combination, and
out of 20 problem instances, 4 problems aborted with assert failures, and
at least 2 of these aborted at the above capacity()==length. I don't know
if the problems are due to Cbc or Clp, but the assert failures are in Cbc.

We are using Cbc/Clp as a MP solver for our own ECLiPSe system, and the
problem is loaded into a CoinPackedMatrix in a column-wise fashion. I have
managed to log the calls to Osi from our system, and I have been able to
compile these logged calls as a C++ program, and running this program
reproduce the problem above. If you are willing to look at this problem (I
am afraid I don't know enough about Simplex or Cbc/Clp to look at this
problem myself :-(), I can send you this program.

[the logged program is quite large, as it records all the calls to setting
the matrix coefficients, but it gzips down to about 42K.]

Yours sincerely,

Kish Shen
IC-Parc
Imperial College London