[Coin-lpsolver] St9bad_alloc from executable

Adam Smith adam at viratech.com
Tue Aug 2 20:11:26 EDT 2005

Hello All,

I have a problem with about 60 million nonzero entries (roughly 2e5 by 2e5).
I tried solving it using the out-of-the-box Clp executable, running on
Fedora Core 4.  I got the following message after roughly 10 hours:

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::bad_alloc'
  what():  St9bad_alloc
Aborted

I tried it on two different computers, both with 2GB of RAM, and got that
error at the same point in both (in terms of the objective value).  I tried
it on a computer with 4GB of RAM, and the execution got just *slightly*
further (not twice as far!).

Unfortunately, I'm not very used to linux, much less debugging via ssh!

Any hints?  Is it hitting an address space limit?  If so, why did doubling
the memory only let it get slightly further?

Thanks for any help.

Best,
Adam Smith