[Coin-lpsolver] Network code

John J Forrest jjforre at us.ibm.com
Fri Apr 25 10:03:38 EDT 2003

Yiming,

This "sample"  Clp/Samples/network.cpp was really for testing.  You would
just need one call e.g. dual().

However as I never announced any network capability in Clp, I thought I
would also post this on Coin-lpsolver
-----------------------

The original purpose of the sample was twofold - to test the ClpMatrixBase
concept and to give some of the advantages of a specialized network code.

In Clp a matrix is an abstract class so special classes can be used for
specialized cases.  The default matrix class is ClpPackedMatrix which is
just a CoinPackedMatrix.  To see how easy it was to create new classes I
created a CLPPlusMinusOneMatrix class which saves memory and should be
faster on most machines if all elements are +- 1.0.  I also created a
ClpNetworkMatrix class (one or two elements a column, + and - one if two,
+ or - one if one).  In this case Clp also uses a network factorization so
is significantly faster.  Code testing this is also in unitTest.cpp.

This will not be as fast as a specialized network code as it is not
tightly integrated but for the same reason it should be more flexible.