[CHiPPS] Help running blis

Keith Bannister k.bannister at ieee.org
Fri Aug 23 11:17:54 EDT 2013

Hi,

I'm a first-time user of chipps. I'm mailing trying to solve MILPs on an
MPI cluster. Quite excited.

Firstly, I had some trouble compiling alps:

To start with, using --with-mpi-incdir and with-mpi-libdir didn't work

./configure --enable-static --disable-shared MPICC=mpicc MPICXX=mpicxx
MPIF90=mpif90 CC=mpicc CXX=mpicxx   CXXDEFS="-DOMPI_IGNORE_CXX_SEEK"
--with-mpi-incdir=$OPENMPI_ROOT/include --with-mpi-libdir=$OPENMPI_ROOT/lib

Configure says:
checking if user provides library for Mpi... configure: error: You need to
specify both an include directory and link flags to use library Mpi. Use
--with-mpi-incdir of environment variable /apps/openmpi/1.4.3/include to
specify the include directory. Use --with-mpi-lib or environment variable
to specify link flags.

So I had to

> export MPIINCDIR=$OPENMPI_ROOT/include
> export MPILIB=$OPENMPI_ROOT/lib

COnfigure then complained:
configure: error: Cannot find symbol(s) MPI_Irecv with MPI

Looking at config.log shows:

configure:21966: checking whether symbol MPI_Irecv is available with MPI
configure:21984: mpicc -o conftest -DCOIN_HAS_MPI   -DALPS_BUILD
conftest.c /apps/openmpi/1.4.3/lib  >&5
/apps/openmpi/1.4.3/lib: file not recognized: Is a directory

It looks like configure forgot to put a '-L' in front of the $MPILIB value.

This whole problem can be circumvented by adding --disable-mpi-libcheck to
the configure and it makes OK.

Just letting you know,

> echo $OPENMPI_ROOT
/apps/openmpi/1.4.3

> mpicc --version
icc (ICC) 11.1 20091130
Copyright (C) 1985-2009 Intel Corporation.  All rights reserved.

Blis-0.93.5
--
Keith Bannister