[CHiPPS] Questions About Blis And example of Alps

Matthew Saltzman mjs at clemson.edu
Sat Jan 28 19:18:07 EST 2012

On Fri, 2012-01-27 at 18:25 -0500, Ted Ralphs wrote:
> Just to follow up on this, Abc is not very well maintained and is
> there as an example of how to use Alps. I would not be surprised if it
> has bugs.
>
> As for why Blis solves the knapsack problem you referred to in one
> node, whereas the knapsack application took many nodes, this is not
> surprising. The knapsack application uses a very naive bounding
> procedure and has no sophisticated methodology, whereas Blis uses
> cutting planes and other sophisticated procedures to do the bounding.
> It would not be unusual for a knapsack problem to take many nodes with
> the naive approach, but only one with the more sophisticated approach.
> Hope this helps clarify things.

In fact, the ALPS knapsack solver was designed as a scalability proof of
concept.  It was intentionally made naive so that it would generate lots
of nodes and dispatch them cheaply.  It was never intended to be
competitive at solving knapsack problems.

> Cheers,
>
> Ted
>
> 2011/12/4 Yan Xu <Yan.Xu at sas.com>:
> > If you have a TotalView debugger, can try to run through the debugger. It is
> > hard to tell if it is a system error or bug in ALPS.

Matthew Saltzman
Clemson University Mathematical Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu