[CHiPPS] Problem About Using CHiPPS

Ted Ralphs ted at lehigh.edu
Wed Oct 26 13:22:31 EDT 2011

If you want to implement your own tree search, then you can build on top of
ALPS. BLIS is a basic MIP solver that is already built on top of ALPS and
will solve binary integer programs out of the box. I would suggest trying
that first to see if it is a good match for your needs before writing any of
your own code. Also, be aware that there are some other parallel MILP
solvers in COIN, notably Cbc and SYMPHONY. However, these do not work with
MPI. Cbc is shared-memory only (multi-threading). SYMPHONY is shared-memory
or distributed memory with PVM. Both Cbc and SYMPHONY are more powerful MILP
solvers than BLIS.

Cheers,

Ted

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 8:42 AM, 化高峰 <shimuxi at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>      In the past few weeks, we have learned Alps, and the example Knap
> problem.
>
>      Now we are going to develop our own IP problem-solving algorithms.
>
>      We have known that there are three components of CHiPPS.
>
>      And our problem is a Binary IP model for land-use allocation.
>
>      Also we want to solve it using MPI-enabled parallel tree search. So
> we chose CHiPPS.
>
>      But we are wondering which component we should select to implement
> our own tree search programs
>

>      Could you give us some suggestions ?
>

> Thanks!

Dr. Ted Ralphs