[CHiPPS] Blis install error

Jack Bryan dtustudy68 at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 24 16:39:13 EDT 2009

thanks a lot !!!

I launch mpd --ncpus=2
then

mpdboot -n 20 -f /home/mpd.hosts

My MPI cluster has 33 nosts.
But only 20 hosts can be used, each host has 2 CPUs.

Thus, I can not use more than 40 processes in parallel.

In this way , May I claim that I can use 40 processes in parallel ?

(1)
I run the program in this way :

time mpiexec -l -n 40 blis -par /home/chipps_blis_svn_trunk_090423/blis_trunk/blis.par -Alps_instance

bienst1.mps > bienst1_np_40_out_1

For bienst1.mps,

In Blis0.9 (Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 3.06GHz, cache  512 KB), I got "Search wallclock  = 275.889 seconds".

In CPLEX (Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.40GHz, cache  512 KB) , I got Solution time 535.42 sec.

How to check the CPUs usage to know how many processors are used ?

(2)
And,
Search CPU time = 12.6601 seconds, max = 265.293, min = 12.6591,

Search wallclock  = 275.889 seconds, max = 275.852, min = 275.838

Here, the "min " of CPU time is much smaller than the "max" time,
does it mean that some CPUs are idel ? their work load are not balanced ?

(3)
How to check CPU time of each host ?

I will get a machine with 400 nodes, each of which has 2 Quad cores.

May I expect I can get more than 100 ave. speedup from it ?

(4) what is the difference between local machine and local host ?
In my mpd.host file , I listed 20 hosts, each of them has 2 CPUs.

Any help is appreciated.

April 24  2009