[Cops] Setting physical memory limit

Khoa Vo khoa.vo at informatik.uni-heidelberg.de
Fri Feb 8 09:47:27 EST 2008

Hi Yan,

My ALPS-based program is having problem with memory limitation. In our
cluster, each node (quad-cores processor) has a limitation of 8GB RAM.
One of our testing instances has caused a crash, as the memory it takes
on one node exceeds 8GB.

Is there any parameter in ALPS that I can set a limit of memory? That
means if the total physical memory used in one process exceeds a certain
limit, children ALPS nodes will not be generated anymore? I noticed the
two following parameters, but no number for the memory.

/** The max number of nodes can be processed.
112           Default: ALPS_INT_MAX */
113       nodeLimit,

/** Check memory.
43           Default: false */
44       checkMemory,

Thanks,
Khoa

==================My parameter files=======================
Alps_instance ../data/Harwell-Boeing_small/lns__131.mtx.rnd

Bw_labelingDirection 0

Bw_upperBound 19

Bw_lowerBound 1

Alps_solLimit 1

#Alps_nodeLimit 5000000

Alps_logFileLevel 0

Alps_msgLevel 1
Alps_hubMsgLevel 0
Alps_workerMsgLevel 0

Alps_hubNum 8

Alps_interClusterBalance 1      # 1: balancing load, 0: don't.
Alps_intraClusterBalance 1      # 1: balancing load, 0: don't.

#Alps_searchStrategy 0 # 0: Best, 1: Best-est, 2: Breath, 3: Depth, 4
hybrid
#Alps_searchStrategyRampUp  0

#Alps_staticBalanceScheme 0

#Alps_nodeLogInterval 1000