[Cops] How to stop ALPS searching as soon as a solution found

Khoa Vo khoa.vo at informatik.uni-heidelberg.de
Tue Dec 4 07:27:37 EST 2007

Dear all,

I am using ALPS framework (version 0.95) in COPS family to parallelize
my computing program for a discrete optimization problem (Matrix
Bandwidth optimization). It looks to be a well architected and robust
framework.

Due to the difficulty of Bandwidth problem, in the current program I
test for each of input bandwidth value if there is any feasible solution
for that. If yes, then it is the necessary solution and searching should
be stopped. Otherwise searching continues until the full tree has been
tested and an answer of Infeasibility will be returned. In other words,
I want the search to stop when a solution found, not until all nodes
have been pruned, both sequentially and parallelly.

Can you tell me how to configure/program such a message/event? In the
current program, in function BwTreeNode::process(bool isRoot, bool
rampUp), where class BwTreeNode inherited from class AlpsTreeNode, when
a solution found I try to using
-sending a message with ALPS_S_FINAL_SOL
-getKnowledgeBroker()->setExitStatus(AlpsExitStatusOptimal);
But that didn't help, the search keeps running until all nodes have been
pruned.

Any hint, advice or solution will be welcomed.
Thanks,
Khoa Vo
Institute of Computer Science
University of Heidelberg