[Cbc] CBC significant different running times with the same instance and executable

Ted Ralphs ted at lehigh.edu
Thu Jan 30 15:51:42 EST 2020

It can't find the solution because you imposed a time limit? Or there is an
error? In general, if the parallel version can find a solution, the
sequential version should also be able to find one, just in a (possibly
much) longer time frame.

Variability in running time is expected in parallel mode, since the
execution is non-deterministic by default. Cbc does have a deterministic
parallel mode, but imposing determinism has a cost. On average, the
non-deterministic version will be faster.

Ted