[Cbc] CBC significant different running times with the same instance and executable

Rita Portugal rita at siscog.pt
Mon Jan 27 12:03:20 EST 2020

Hi,

My name is Rita Portugal

I've been working with CBC "inside" C++ language in Visual Studio framework.

I'm having some strange behavior that I'm hopping you could help me on
understanding it.

I read the input data, create a linear integer model than call
branchAndBound.

I started by testing a very small example to understand running time
behavior but, while running the same instance and the same solver
configuration several different times (in the same machine) I'm keep
having different time results for getting the same optimal solution
(between 5 minutes to 25).

When reading the user guide I understand that CBC has random components
during is running process that can be desactivate by the
setRandomSeed(7777) comand. But even doing that the behavior is still
the same.

Can you please advise me about any other possible responsable components
for having such a different behavior between runnings?

Thank you in advance

--
SISCOG - Sistemas Cognitivos, SA

Rita Portugal
Software Engineer

*SISCOG - Sistemas Cognitivos, SA*
Campo Grande, 378 - 3º, 1700-097 Lisboa • Portugal
Tel: +351 217 529 100 • Fax: +351 217 529 101

*www.siscog.pt* <http://www.siscog.pt>

*"Optimising the resources of the world"*

DISCLAIMER
This message may contain confidential information. You should not copy
or address this message to third parties.
If you are not the appropriate recipient we kindly ask you to delete the
message and notify the sender.
The contents of this message and its attachments are the sole
responsibility of the sender and under no circumstances can SISCOG -
Sistemas Cognitivos, SA be liable for any resulting consequences.

AVISO
Esta mensagem pode conter informação considerada confidencial, não
devendo ser copiada ou endereçada a terceiros.
Se o receptor não for o destinatário apropriado, agradecemos que destrua
a mensagem e informe o emissor do sucedido.
O conteúdo desta mensagem bem como dos respectivos anexos é da
responsabilidade exclusiva do emissor, não podendo a SISCOG - Sistemas
Cognitivos, SA ser responsabilizada por eventuais consequências.