[Cbc] [External] Re: 2.10 version on Ubuntu

Ted Ralphs ted at lehigh.edu
Sat Sep 14 22:42:33 EDT 2019

OK, it took a little digging, but I got everything fixed up and added a few
more enhancements to coinbrew in the meantime. The errors similar to

rm: cannot remove '/usr/local/share/coin/Data/miplib3/harp2': Permission
denied

during the build step were due to an embarassing bug that has now been
fixed. The build should not need to be be run with sudo by design---that is
the reason for separating the build and install steps.

As for the install, I was able to replicate what you saw. As far as I can
tell, you most likely did successfully in installing the release version
(despite Cbc's version message), but when Cbc was built, it seems to have
pulled in the configuration header file from the previously installed
master version and the wrong version string got injected into the code. I'm
still verifying this, but in any case, it was almost certainly some sort of
corruption due to the previous install.

This possibility never occurred to me, so thanks once again for the
detailed reports! I have an idea how to fix it, but it may take a little
work.

In general, it's best to uninstall one version before starting to build and
install another. Just run

./coinbrew Cbc uninstall

With what I think happened, you should actually now be able to simply
re-build and re-install Cbc itself (no need to rebuild the dependencies)
and it will be fixed. I add the option now to rebuild a  project, so you
should in principle be able to do

./coinbrew build --rebuild Cbc --skip-dependencies

and it will rebuild. However, since I also just changed that way build
configurations are cached (sorry for the moving target), I would actually
suggest that you reconfigure and rebuild everything with

./coinbrew build --rebuild --reconfigure Cbc --prefix=/usr/local

Alternatively, you can also just remove the build directory altogether with
"rm -rf build". After you rebuild, you can install again and everything
should be fixed up.

Cheers,

Ted

--
Dr. Ted Ralphs
Professor, Industrial and Systems Engineering