[Cbc] 2.10 version on Ubuntu

Ted Ralphs ted at lehigh.edu
Sun Sep 8 22:27:00 EDT 2019

Hey JP!

There are several  things are going on here. First, you don't seem to have
pkg-config installed, which I thought was there on all Ubuntu systems. If
you install it, everything should work with just the three steps, as
expected. The fourth step of making coinbrew executable is also needed in
some cases (I'm not 100 % sure why it is sometimes needed, but not always).

With that said, the recipe should still have worked for you, even without
pkg-config. There is a workaround mechanism in case pkg-config fails that
seems not to have worked for some reason. I will try to replicate exactly
what went wrong so it can be fixed (I have a theory, but I don't know why
it hasn't come up before).

On Ubuntu, you are also better off installing the Debian blas and lapack
packages and in that case, you can skip building the third-packages
altogether with --no-third-party, which will improve the speed of Cbc.

coinbrew actually has a lot of sophisticated capabilities, not all of which
are fully documented, but there is at least some more documentation on how
to use it here:

https://coin-or.github.io/coinbrew/

Cheers,

Ted

--
Dr. Ted Ralphs
Professor, Industrial and Systems Engineering