[Cbc] Interpret optimization output with possible search parameters adjustment

Kosthold - Bjørn bjorn at kosthold.no
Tue Jun 5 13:21:36 EDT 2018

Dear All,

Below is a typical(?) output from CBC.

Are there any smart ways to utilize this information in order to improve
solution speed, for instance by adjusting search parameters? Or is the
algorithm self-adjusting in a good (enough) way?

For instance, from the text
                Knapsack was tried 10 times and created 0 cuts of which 0
were active after adding rounds of cuts (0.016 seconds)
I read that CBC quickly finds out that Knapsack is not working well for the
MIP at hand, and therefore quits using Knapsack.

Cbc0001I Search completed - best objective -1028466.29607, took 314404
iterations and 13770 nodes (68.88 seconds)
Cbc0032I Strong branching done 26424 times (318894 iterations), fathomed 921
nodes and fixed 3737 variables
Cbc0035I Maximum depth 55, 126998 variables fixed on reduced cost
Cuts at root node changed objective from -1.06505e+006 to -1.03849e+006
Probing was tried 2999 times and created 5690 cuts of which 0 were active
after adding rounds of cuts (0.371 seconds)
Gomory was tried 2937 times and created 826 cuts of which 0 were active
after adding rounds of cuts (2.090 seconds)
Knapsack was tried 10 times and created 0 cuts of which 0 were active after
adding rounds of cuts (0.016 seconds)
Clique was tried 10 times and created 0 cuts of which 0 were active after
adding rounds of cuts (0.000 seconds)
MixedIntegerRounding2 was tried 2943 times and created 2272 cuts of which 0
were active after adding rounds of cuts (2.308 seconds)
FlowCover was tried 2943 times and created 1781 cuts of which 0 were active
after adding rounds of cuts (2.138 seconds)
TwoMirCuts was tried 10 times and created 14 cuts of which 0 were active
after adding rounds of cuts (0.036 seconds)
ImplicationCuts was tried 215 times and created 12 cuts of which 0 were
active after adding rounds of cuts (0.004 seconds)

Best regards,

Bjorn