[Cbc] [cbc] SOS and Semis availability in release branch.

John Forrest john.forrest at fastercoin.com
Tue Jan 30 09:12:24 EST 2018

Richi,

There should not be any issues with using features in parallel.

The developments with SOS etc all took place during the 70's mainly at
the consultancy company - Scicon.  Those were the days when a company
could write optimization software mainly to be used for its clients.
LP/IP codes included - Alligator (great name derived from a technique
akin to linear programming - very bad code), Umpire (Unified
Mathematical Programming incorporating refinements and extensions - very
good code) and Sciconic (boring name).

You may find papers mostly authored by Martin Beale (you may also find
Tomlin and Forrest in some of them).  They all involve very simple
branching techniques to model increasingly complex ideas - so Linked
Ordered Sets can directly model x*f(y).  A lot of these are in Cbc and
it is easy for any user to extend them - Open Source can bring back some
of the links between algorithm and application/customer.

Find some of the papers, but you may find it easier to get clear in your
mind what techniques you would like to exist and then pose questions in
this forum to help other people.

John