[Cbc] Poor performance on windows

Alpár Jüttner alpar at cs.elte.hu
Mon Jan 29 15:02:26 EST 2018

Hi,

We develop an optimization algorithm which calls CBC to solve a number of
small to medium size MIP problems. It works fine on Linux, but the
execution time increases - sometimes dramatically - on Windows.

Could anyone give me some hints on the possible reasons for that and how to
overcome?

Some details:
The code is written in C++, and we build up and solve the MIP problems
directly with the CBC API.
We compile CBC from source with this configuration:

./configure --enable-static --disable-shared --disable-cbc-parallel

On Windows, we tried Cygwin and MinGW.

With Cygwin, both CBC and our code is compiled in Windows, in the cygwin
shell just the same way as in linux.

With MinGW, we do cross compiling on linux. The CBC source is configured as:

./configure --host=x86_64-w64-mingw32 --enable-static --disable-shared
--disable-cbc-parallel

Using MinGW we get a faster executable, but still slower than the linux
version by a magnitude.

We tried both the trunk version and release 2.9.9. There is no significant
difference.

Many thanks in advance for any help!

Regards,
Alpár