[Cbc] CbcHeuristicLocal

Irina Hafner i.hafner at mathtec.at
Wed Nov 8 03:21:54 EST 2017

Hi all,

I am currently working on a specific MIP, where it is easy to calculate a feasible solution in advance. Hence, I am looking for an algorithm to improve an initial solution, for example via local search.
I know, there is the "CbcHeuristicLocal" class and I even found some examples.  When I tried to implement the algorithm in the following way

OsiClpSolverInterface clp;
CbcModel model(clp);
//[...set initial solution...]
CbcHeuristicLocal heuristicLocal(model);
heuristicLocal.setSearchType(1);
heuristicLocal.setFractionSmall(0.5);
heuristicLocal.setHeuristicName("local");
model.addHeuristic(&heuristicLocal);
//[...]
model.initialSolve();
model.branchAndBound();

the solution didn't improve, and I got the following log massage "Cbc0045I Heuristic local took 0 seconds (no good)". So, I think the algorithm didn't even start.
I am wondering if I missed to set some parameters or if I can't use this class as I thought?
Has somebody some experiences with local search, the CbcHeuristicLocal class or with the CbcTreeLocal class? It would be great to get more information on this topic!

Thank you in advance,
Irina