[Cbc] integer overflow in CglGomory.cpp

Haroldo Santos haroldo.santos at gmail.com
Thu May 18 09:41:57 EDT 2017

Hi,

AFAIK, now there are two Gomory cut generators available in CBC (Cgl):
 CglGomory and CglGMI.  Does this overflow affects both versions ?
Which version is recommended for general use now ?  Should we do some tests
to determine that ?

> Modified in trunk (can be copied to stable).  Just for now I have left it
> as was unless GOMORY_LONG is defined in configure.  If anyone is interested
> they could see what difference it makes (on my first test it was slower -
> but then invalid cuts can be very powerful!).  There may be some connection
> with queries about accuracy of Gomory cuts in 2015 (GOMORY_RELAX_NUMBER).
>
> John Forrest
>

> On 16/05/17 10:47, Tobias Stengel wrote:
>
> Hi,
>

> I noticed an integer overflow in CglGomory.cpp / nearestRational(double,
> int) lines 445 and 446. That specific MIP is solved correctly, but I have
> no idea whether such an overflow can lead to wrong cuts that e.g. cut off
> the optimal solution. Anyway integer overflow is undefined behaviour in
> C/C++ and the returned fractional is not „near“ the input…
>

> 2 parameter sets for nearestRational that lead to overflow can be found in
> the attached test program. Does anyone know how nearestRational works and
> how the overflow can be fixed properly?
>

> Thanks
>

> Tobias

> Cbc mailing listCbc at list.coin-or.orghttps://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__list.coin-2Dor.org_mailman_listinfo_cbc&d=DwICAg&c=Ngd-ta5yRYsqeUsEDgxhcqsYYY1Xs5ogLxWPA_2Wlc4&r=js2M0T-3OIMIVDvokcKjokJbk0F8QOCd0mT4FsVFE88&m=L7AT776VDQX3BSKmHST7549RZsaJ2y94DaRP4TUG7Q4&s=nhL5_z_yBvb0pFHQ119ru9uHYjq2HWhTiD1goMhbxt8&e=

> ta5yRYsqeUsEDgxhcqsYYY1Xs5ogLxWPA_2Wlc4&r=pLOfVNEEHf-xhIqn1-
> uzYcZ6Q7UefG6Bg6rXCKTMiAA&m=gDrVYEcxW3vJRno33gHauuTWvszzplGzQ51Sj1KjdZ8&s=
> PapLwmuavMGxMxQgc3G5q_UgPp1PqK_OgG0StA88mIA&e=

Haroldo Gambini Santos
Computing Department
Universidade Federal de Ouro Preto - UFOP
email: haroldo [at ] iceb.ufop.br
home/research page: www.decom.ufop.br/haroldo

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely
the most important.
-- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, "A Case of Identity"