[Cbc] Performance issues

Haroldo Gambini Santos haroldo.santos at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 10:26:50 EST 2017

Hi Bernhard,

Did some experiments with your MIP.

With default options CBC really performs poorly, but changing a few
options it solves it almost instantly.

try options:
cbc test.lp zero on heur off reduce ifmove ratio 0.005 latwomir endonly
lagomory endonly clique off knapsack off threads 4 combine2 on  solve

It is solved (very close to optimality) in 2 seconds in my core i7.

What I noticed is that your model is "integer friendly": most heuristics
can be turned off and it still finds a good solution. So expensive
heuristics such as feasibility pump (which are mostly useful in problems
where finding any feasible solution is hard) can be turned off saving
some time.

Cheers,

Haroldo