[Cbc] Segfault solving a problem containing SOSs

Luís Borges de Oliveira lbo at siscog.pt
Thu Nov 10 11:49:39 EST 2016

John,

On 03-11-2016 19:08, John Forrest wrote:
> Fixed the assertion fail.
>
> I don't think, for difficult problems, it is possible to get good
> results by replacing constraints by branching rules.
>
> I think a better approach is to make the LP solver faster for problems
> with many constraints.
>
> I have added driverFat.cpp to Cbc/examples.  It is not tidied up, but
> may improve things for you.  For a previously posted lp - test.lp with
> 998212 rows and 106780 columns it solved completely in under three
> hours (okay - using four threads).
>
> One could probably do better if the driver was more intelligent on
> strong branching - which would not take long to code.  As it was, I
> just turned that off.

I tried to solve the big test.lp with driverFat (single-threaded) but it
didn't reach any solution within ~70h. Also, I've found that driverFat
solves the smaller lp much slower than plain Cbc (even if I disable
strong branching).

In any case, at this point, I will follow your advice and drop the SOS
approach. Cbc is working pretty well for smaller problems and I'll
decompose larger ones.

Thanks for your help,
Luís