[Cbc] Documentation; Warmstart; Timelimit

John Forrest john.forrest at fastercoin.com
Sat Nov 7 09:46:11 EST 2015

Mona,

On 06/11/15 13:45, Mona Rahn wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have three questions:
>
> 1) I am pretty new in using CBC with C++. Do you have a tip on a good
> way to start, i.e. a documentation / tutorial / handbook for
> beginners? Most of the stuff I found online was aimed at a much higher
> level of knowledge. The documentation link that can be found on the
> COIN-OR website (https://projects.coin-or.org/Cbc at the bottom)
> doesn't work.

Documentation has never been the strong point of Cbc.  It can be useful
to invoke cbc and try ? and then look at individual options - see 2)

> 2) I have an minimization LP that I resolve several times with
> different objectives. That is, I solve it, upper bound the unique
> variable appearing in my first objective function to the calculated
> value, and set another variable as my objective.
> Now, my question is: The solver appears to start from scratch every
> time I call it, but I would like to keep the old solution and start
> from there. Is there a way to do this? I have seen the warm start in
> OsiCbcSolverinterface, but I am not sure how to use it.

If you do cbc and then mipstart?? you will see that you can save the
solution from one run and then use it as an input solution to next.
> 3) I would like to have set a time limit that only stops the program
> if there is already a solution found (which isn't necessarily
> optimal), but not if it is still searching for a solution. The only
> time limit I have found is CbcModel::setMaximumSeconds, but this stops
> the program no matter what. Do you have a solution for this?

You may wish to use the drivers that allow you to call cbc as normal but
with changes.  Look at driver6.cpp.  If you have a driver like that then
you could check if you have a solution and then stop on time.  I would
suggest modifying MyEventHandler3::event to check if event was
treeStatus and solution found and too many seconds.

John Forrest