[Cbc] Gomory or not Gomory, that is the question.

Yves Touchard yves.touchard at sfr.fr
Tue Mar 3 14:03:03 EST 2015

Hello,

You will find here
(https://www.dropbox.com/s/ayo93hi4togpc9m/noGom.lp?dl=0) a constraint
file for which cbc founds a solution when Gomory cuts are removed or for
specific cutlength values.

In other words, the following command leads to an infeasible problem:
//soft/cbc-trunk-2149/bin/cbc noGom.lp branch printingOptions normal
solution noGom.sol/

and with the following commands, cbc claims that there is a solution:
//soft/cbc-trunk-2149/bin/cbc noGom.lp gomory off branch printingOptions
normal solution noGom.sol/
//soft/cbc-trunk-2149/bin/cbc noGom.lp cutlength xx branch
printingOptions normal solution noGom.sol/ (with xx equal to -1, 0, 10,
20... and different from 30...)

Since our problems are dynamically generated, it is very painful to try
to solve them with different options, hoping that the right set is in
the list.

So, is there a way to find this set of options.
Or could you explain what are the rows that are difficult for cbc.
And, does the change of the continuous variables into integer variables
help? (for our problems, it makes sense).

Thanks and regards

Yves