[Cbc] How much better CBC performs when compiled with BLAS and LAPACK ?

John Forrest john.forrest at fastercoin.com
Sat Jan 31 03:57:38 EST 2015

To add to Haroldo's comments.

a) I think that the configure script can detect the existence of lapack
and blas - well it does on my computer.

b) A dense factorization only really starts to help when the dense part
is of the order of 500.  Most "solvable" integer problems tend not to
fall in that category.

c) However many difficult LP's do, with the dense part being of the
order of several thousand.  As the factorization effort is proportional
to n**3, a good set of blas makes a big difference. For the latest set
of simplex benchmarks by Hans Mittelmann, I asked him to include the
library "openblas", which made a significant difference.

John Forrest