[Cbc] CBC solution file options

Andrew Wald andrewjohnwald at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 13:50:59 EST 2015

Hi CBC community:

I've been trying to get warm starts to work with CBC 2.8, but I'm having
issues.

Here's what I'm trying to do:
1) Read the original problem in .mps format
2) Generate a .sol file
3) Read a new problem (possibly with different constraints) in .mps format
4) Use the .sol file in step #2 as a warm start

CBC now ignores the solution file (file not valid) and/or crashes. Without
importing a solution, CBC solves the LP just fine. I think that my problem
is that the variable names aren't being preserved in the solution file, but
I'm not sure.

I'm reading in the solution file with "-mipstart /tmp/tmpSol.sol"
I'm formatting the new solution file before writing with
"-printingOptions=rows"
I'm writing the solution file with "-solution=/tmp/tmpSol.sol"

I've tried setting printingOptions to "integer", "rows", "all", and
"special" - but nothing is working to warm start the solution, even when
the LP I'm loading is identical.

Does anyone have suggestions? Or know where to look for documentation on
this?

Thanks,
Andrew

Andrew Wald