[Cbc] Another problem "long to be solved"

John Forrest john.forrest at fastercoin.com
Tue Nov 18 07:03:16 EST 2014

Yves,

In trunk there are some new/modified options.

There was a parameter "experiment".  I have left some old meanings, but
introduced some new ones.  For difficult problems I would suggest
-experiment 3000 !!.  This actually switches on multiple root solvers
(4), does more aggressive preprocessing, adds some extra root cut
generators AND switches on most diving heuristics.

When I tried, the code had no problems with long.lp, but I would suggest
you look at a new parameter divesolves.  This can increase the number of
solves a diving heuristic can do.  The bottom digit is ignored for
number of solves but can switch on something which could help you a
lot.  Normally the diving heuristics fix some integer variables if they
are at their bound, however they do not fix satisfied general integer
variables - not at bound - so if 0 <= x <= 20 and x is at 12 then it
does not get fixed.  I have allowed this behaviour to change so
-divesolves 301 will allow up to 300 solves and will fix some satisfied
general integers.

You may also want to look at diveoptions and even set -DDIVE_PRINT=1 in
configure.  This switches on some printout which may help you understand
what is happening in which heuristic.

John