[Cbc] Potential race hazard?

hmi21 at cantab.net hmi21 at cantab.net
Mon Mar 24 10:01:59 EDT 2014

Hi,

First of all a big thanks to everyone developing and maintaining CBC. It’s
an incredibly powerful tool.
What I find extremely useful is that CBC has been parallelised and runs
large problems utilising all cores on a multicore machine.
The other day, however, I’ve come across a series of problems that when
rerun on a parallelised version of CBC provide different results
(objective values). When run in a single thread, CBC finds the same result
consistently.
I’ve posted one of the problems as well as a script to run it on CBC’s bug
tracking system, but haven’t had a response
(https://projects.coin-or.org/Cbc/ticket/147). Note that all heuristics
and cuts are turned off when running the problem.
I’d like to know whether a) this is indeed a bug or just me not using the
library correctly and b) how mature the parallelised code of CBC is.

Any help would be appreciated!

Many thanks,

Hans