[Cbc] revamping the Cbc C interface

Haroldo Santos haroldo.santos at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 20:21:15 EDT 2014

Hi Miles,

This would great.  CbcMain0 and CbcMain1 are where the best settings are
kept and you really should use these.

It would nice also to add a clean interface  to configure cuts, heuristics
and pre-preprocessing in CBC (at least the most important options) (this
would be translated to CbcMain1 parameters).

This would probably be a better way to call CBC from C++ too, since
CbcMain0 and CbcMain1 are a functional but ugly way of calling the solver
IMHO.

Using opaque data types in C would also be nice to keep a low level of
required includes.

Cheers,

Haroldo

On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 7:52 PM, Miles Lubin <miles.lubin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm planning on doing some significant restructuring on the Cbc C
> interface (
> https://projects.coin-or.org/Cbc/browser/trunk/Cbc/src/Cbc_C_Interface.h),
> which doesn't seem to have received much attention in the past number of
> years. Before making any breaking changes, I wanted to share my plans and
> get feedback from potential users (and current users, if any).
>
> The main redesign points are:
> - Use CbcMain0/CbcMain1
> - Drop LP-specific functionality (dual solutions, rays, etc.) -- Most of
> this was never even implemented, while Clp already has a fully functional C
> interface.
> - Break 1-1 correspondence with C++ names, if appropriate. Some tweaking
> of the names could help for non-expert users. The C interface should be
> accessible to someone who isn't necessarily familiar with the C++ interface.
> - Include unit tests.
>
> Overall the goal is to have a lightweight, well documented interface that
> makes Cbc easy to access from outside of C++, including from dynamic
> languages like Python and Julia, following CoinMP's lead but included
> directly in Cbc.
>
> Thanks,
> Miles

Haroldo Gambini Santos
Computing Department
Universidade Federal de Ouro Preto - UFOP
email: haroldo [at ] iceb.ufop.br
home/research page: www.decom.ufop.br/haroldo