[Cbc] multithreaded cbc for windows

Petru Pau ppau at risc.uni-linz.ac.at
Fri Oct 5 08:27:47 EDT 2012

Rolf Steenge was kind enough to answer this question (thank you, Rolf!):

> The website
>
> http://sources.redhat.com/pthreads-win32/
> has the necessary ingredients:
> 1.  Add the header files: pthread.h, sched.h, semaphore.h to the
> libCbc headers (or your own project)
>
> 2.  Add the library pThreadVSE2.lib to the subproject libCbc (or your
> own project)
>
> 3.  Last but not least add at the top of the source of CbcModel.h:
> #define CBC_THREAD 1
> 4.    The dll
>
> pThreadVSE2.dll
>
> should be placed in the same folder as cbc.exe

[
  In fact, five years ago he gave this answer as solution to a ticket:

https://projects.coin-or.org/Cbc/ticket/45
]

I was able to follow the procedure and compile a multithreading-enabled
CBC.
It works strangely different. The first test was encouraging
(on a 8-core 64bit machine with Windows 7).

(With the same input MIP, the parallel version of Symphony crashed
spectacularly.)

Petru