[Cbc] Compiling and installing CBC with GLPK-4.47

Noli Sicad nsicad at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 16:13:32 EST 2012

Hi Ted,

> Before you go to a lot more trouble, can you maybe say what you are trying
> to do that requires Glpk 4.47? The only thing Glpk can do for you when
> combined with Cbc is to read instances in GMPL format and for that, 4.45
> works well and compiles out of the box.

Yes, I did this last night (Melbourne time) and it works out of the
box even with  -arch=x86_64 (i.e. compiling and installing). However,
I have not yet manage to run a mod file and data (i.e. AMPL or GMPL)
yet.

Any example that run with this syntax (ei.g. cbc
sample.mod$sample.dat) that you can share.

Stefan and Ted, what GMPL file and data did you use to test and says
that CBC with glpk-4.45 "works out of the box"?

Would it be possible to get a copy of the files?

> If you do really need 4.47, then here is another idea. In your previous
> e-mail you indicated that you were configuring on OSX with -arch=x86_64,
> which seems to be what is causing the issue here. Why do you need that
> extra flag? When I build on OSX, I just build with defaults (no extra
> flags) and everything works fine. The more you can stick to the standard
> setup, the better of you are going to be.

I run configure without the OS X flag (i.e. -arch=x86_64), I got the
same problem. However, after sleeping the problem (I.e waking up this
morning), I think I figure what causing the problem. Andrew decided to
include zlib files by default in the 4.47 release. The coin glpk
library (i.e. libcoinglpk.a ) has problem with glp_zlib functions.

For example:

 "__glp_zlib_gzclose", referenced from:
      _z_fclose in libcoinglpk.a(glpenv07.o)

"__glp_zlib_gzputc", referenced from:
      _z_fputc in libcoinglpk.a(glpenv07.o)
  "_glp_main", referenced from:
      __glp_lpx_main in libcoinglpk.a(glplpx01.o)

The  -arch=x86_64 for Mac OS is not causing the problem. It is the
current scripts in coin glpk that is causing it. The zlib folder and
files are causing the problem as you can see in the errors.

I had similar problem in compiling x86 codes for ARM CPU / System
(i.e. iOS in iPhone) in Mac OS when creating Spatialtie library for
iOS.

Thanks.

Regards,

Noli