[Cbc] Compiling CLP/CBC with UFL AMD support

Kish Shen kisshen at cisco.com
Fri Feb 11 13:12:06 EST 2011

Hi,

I have just downloaded from SVN the latest CBC/CLP source for the trunk
branch. I then tried to modify Clp/src/Makefile.in, so that I can build
CLP/CBC with UFL AMD support, so that the Barrier method runs at a
reasonable speed.

I have been doing this for several years now, and the last time I did
this was in October last year, but it seems something have changed since
then --

I used to add the linking of the libamd.a library to ADDLIBS in
Makefile.in, but ADDLIBS is no longer there. Can anyone suggest where I
need to add the library for linking?

It would be nice if linking of UFL AMD can be done without modifying the
source -- this used to be possible. Is there any plans to do this again?

A related question is if using UFL AMD is still needed -- I remember
reading that the native ordering for CLP have been greatly improved,
and in October last year I did try compiling CBC/CLP without UFL AMD,
and trying the Barrier method, but it still seem to be 10-100 times
slower than with UFL AMD. Was this because I should have included some
option when configuring, or is it because I am using the trunk branch?

Is there a big performance difference between the trunk and the stable
branch? I am using the trunk branch because I need some functionality
that John added to the trunk branch some years ago.

Thanks in advance for any help/information!

Kish

Cardiff, South Glamorgan CF10 5BT.