[Cbc] [Clp] GNUMath Prog

Haroldo Santos haroldo.santos at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 16:04:44 EST 2011

Hi Forrest/Ted,

To write LPs in MathProg is much easier and practical than write a C++
program to generate the model. It is a great language to quickly test
different formulations.

Easy access to this feature would clearly allow many newcomers to use CBC.

If this could be included in the default CBC distribution, it would be a
nice addition.

[]'s

On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 3:26 PM, John Forrest <john.forrest at fastercoin.com>wrote:

> Is there interest in having better gmpl-cbc connectivity?
>
> I can get cbc to model sudoku.mod and print the report in
> glpk/example/sudoku.mod - but it aborts on a memory leak after report.
> This is because memory was not free when problem was read in in
> CoinMpsIO.cpp - I can fix but it needs a few more hours.
>
> John Forrest
>

> On Tue, 2011-02-08 at 09:14 +0100, Michal Kaut wrote:
> > Just a question about the level of GMPL support: last time I tried, only
> > Symphony parsed also the reporting parts of the .mod files (printing of
> > the results etc) - Cbc simply ignored them.
> > Has it improved now? And if not, are there any plans to do it? (Solving
> > a problem does not really help, if one cannot print the results
> > afterwards..)
> >
> > Regards,
> > Michal
> >

> > On 07/02/11 19:06, Ted Ralphs wrote:
> > > This is not really the right mailing list for question about CBC, so
> > > I'm cc'ing the Cbc list. All of the COIN-OR projects can read GMPL in
> > > principle if the code is built with GLPK present. The ability to read
> > > GMPL files is provided in the CoinUtils project through a link to
> > > GLPK. With Cbc, if you specify the model and data files with a "%" in
> > > between as your input file name, it will read them as GMPL, i.e.,
> > >
> > > cbc sample.mod%sample.dat
> > >
> > > To build cbc with GMPL support using the autotools, you would go into
> > > the ThirdParty/Glpk directory and run the command
> > >
> > > ./get.Glpk
> > >
> > > This will download the source for the proper version of Glpk. Then
> > > just configure and build as usual. The Glpk source will be
> > > auto-detected, built, and linked. We cannot distribute binaries that
> > > include this capability because of restrictions imposed by the GPL.
> > > Feel free to post further questions to either the Cbc list or the
> > > CoinUtils list, as appropriate.
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > >
> > > Ted

> format

Haroldo Gambini Santos
Computing Department - Universidade Federal de Ouro Preto - UFOP
email: haroldo [at ] iceb.ufop.br
home/research page: http://www.iceb.ufop.br/decom/prof/haroldo/

"Computer science is no more about computers than astronomy
is about telescopes." Edsger Dijkstra