[Cbc] CBC 2.6 Missing ThirdParty ?

Lou Hafer lou at cs.sfu.ca
Thu Nov 4 21:51:27 EDT 2010

Haroldo,

> I have just downloaded the new CBC 2.6
> svn co https://projects.coin-or.org/svn/Cbc/stable/2.6 coin-Cbc26
>

> Checking the files, however, I noted that the ThirdParty folder is
> missing. Checked here
> https://projects.coin-or.org/svn/Cbc/stable/2.6/Externals
> and everything appears OK, but tried again svn checkout and files
> still missing.

	A deliberate choice on my part, which you might not agree with. As we
move towards more independent packaging of COIN-OR projects, I decided
to strip the ThirdParty directory from the default download (true also
of Osi).

	Longer explanation of how externals are now organised:

  * There's a file, Dependencies, which specifies compatible stable
    externals. But svn doesn't use that (or Externals). Svn uses the
    property svn:externals. If you check this with

    svn propget svn:externals

    You'll see that it actually points to releases. The business of
    setting svn:externals is accomplished by BuildTools/set_externals:

    BuildTools/set_externals Dependencies

    Or you can do it by hand, in the usual way.

    svn propset -F Dependencies svn:externals .

    will leave you with stable externals in svn:externals.

  * To get the ThirdParty externals, you'll need to first create the
    ThirdParty directory, then simply check out the externals, or edit
    Externals to request what you want and use

    svn propset -F Externals svn:externals .

    to set it up. Externals is now for the use of
    the local developer. (You'll notice it's currently set to trunk
    externals, for the use of the local developer, i.e., me.)

We'll see if this flies with the public. If not, we'll revert to a more
complete set.

						Lou