[Cbc] CBC with an OA-based solver

Ted Ralphs ted at lehigh.edu
Tue Jul 13 11:08:54 EDT 2010

Hi Victor,

Could you give a few more details about what you're doing? What I
understand is that you are trying to use Cbc, but with the LP solver
(Clp) replaced by your OA-based solver and with an additional cut
generator that I guess generates the outer approximation dynamically.
If that's right, I don't really understand how you're replacing Clp
with your solver or why you need to do this. If your solver is a
linear solver, can't you just leave Clp in place and simply add the
cut generator you want to use to generate the outer approximation? In
general, it's not going to be too easy to replace Clp with another
solvers (this is discussed in a few recent threads on this mailing
list: http://list.coin-or.org/pipermail/cbc/). Have you checked out
Bonmin (http://projects.coin-or.org/Bonmin)? It uses Cbc to implement
an OA-based algorithm for solving convex NLPs. You could see how it
works and that might give you some ideas. You would also just use that
as a starting point and add your cut generator in there.

Cheers,

Ted