[Cbc] Java Wrapper

Kendall Bailey krbailey at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 10:57:24 EDT 2009

I looked for one recently and wasn't impressed with what I found.  What I
ended up writing is a very simple wrapping of some COIN and CLP classes with
SWIG and using Python to build an LP model.  It wouldn't be hard to add CBC
classes.  I'd still be interested in a Java binding.

I've compiled the SWIG interface file to Java once to make sure it would
compile, but I haven't tested it at all.  With Python, I could use the array
module to do allocation of primitive arrays and get a pointer to pass to
COIN.  I'm not sure what I'd do in Java to manipulate the low level memory
allocations.  I included some %array_functions() commands in the SWIG file,
so that should generate something for Java to use.  I don't have any real
Java/SWIG experience, but tried to avoid any Python-specific techniques. I'd
be happy to share my simple coin_or.i file if it would serve as a starting
point for Java.

Kendall