[Cbc] Parallel Cbc: adding threads fails to improve performance

acw at ascent.com acw at ascent.com
Fri Jun 5 14:58:43 EDT 2009

We have a Cbc application that has been doing quite well for us, but as we
foray into more and more complicated problems we are always interested in
improving performance.  So we were pleased to learn that parallelization
had been added to Cbc, and we decided to test it out.

For this test we built Cbc  with the --enable-cbc-parallel-flag on a
quad-core Linux box, and used the bin/cbc executable.  We downloaded a few
test problems from MIPLIB2003 from the archive site miplib.zib.de.  We ran
these problems with different values of the -threads parameter, and were
surprised to discover that adding threads did not improve performance;
instead, performance was almost unchanged for one problem (miu.mps), and
degraded slightly with additional threads for some others (aflow30a.mps,
aflow40b.mps, misc07.mps).

We used the following command structure:

cbc -threads <n> -import <mps file> -solve

We varied n from 0 (though we don't know what 0 means!) through 5 (even
though we didn't have five cores!), and never saw a case where increasing
n improved performance more than marginally, and many cases where it hurt.

We must be doing it wrong.  Is anyone else having success improving
performance with parallelized Cbc?