[Cbc] Enabling multithreading with CbcMain1

acw at ascent.com acw at ascent.com
Wed Jul 15 18:42:44 EDT 2009

We are trying to enable multithreading in our Cbc-based application.  Our
application was modeled on Cbc/examples/driver4.cpp, though we use custom
code to assemble the model, rather than reading from an MPS file.

We are seeing an exception and process quit in our early attempts to
specify the thread count.

The important bit is:

const char * argv2[ ] = {"driver3", "-threads", "0", "-solve", "-quit"};
CbcMain1(5, argv2, modelA, callBack);

The failure definitely occurs after control is handed to CbcMain1.  Have
we specified argv2 wrongly?  I just noticed that we got the command name
wrong ("driver3") but I'm pretty sure this "zeroth" argument is ignored by
CbcMain1.

My understanding is that "-threads 0" disables multithreading in the
command-line interface; we were just testing the syntax before trying to
enable multithreading.

Thanks for your assistance.