[Cbc] Antw: Re: Cut efficiency in cbcSolve for versions 2.0.0, 2.1.0, 2.2.2and 2.3.0

John J Forrest jjforre at us.ibm.com
Sat Aug 29 11:34:46 EDT 2009

Torsten,

I have found the problem.  Before Cbc 2.2 probing was done on all rows.
Then it was decided that it was best to leave out dense rows to try and
improve the speed of probing.  However my brain was not working very well
as I forgot that if we have a solution, then the objective row is added as
a constraint.  Very often this constraint will be dense - so in some cases
it was being added and then thrown out again.  This is what made the
difference as in some cases heuristics were getting good solutions.

I have made some changes in trunk, but need to test them a bit more before
they go in stable.  As I am one of the few people with limited access to
broadband (during part of the year) and for various other reasons,  I may
not be able to update stable for a few days.  If you are using stable/2.3
you could change lines 4149,4150 of CbcSolver.cpp to 10000.  As the quality
of the solutions from the heuristics vary a lot on the problem you sent me,
the objective after cuts varies.  Playing around with 2.3 I did get 246.295
on one run.

John