[Cbc] Re : Parallel version of Cbc

Stefan Vigerske stefan at math.hu-berlin.de
Mon Oct 6 12:33:56 EDT 2008

Hi,

> I have commented the line 112 of the file CbcModel.cpp in order to undefine "small" as you suggested and it compiled fine.
>
> When I look at the CPU activity on my dual-core during the branch-and-cut, apparently both CPU seems to work, but the total CPU usage remains close to 50%.
> The bevahior seems very similar to the non-parallel version of Cbc...
>
> Do I have to change something when I call Cbc from my code (to indicate to Cbc, for example, the number of CPU) ?

You have to tell CBC how many threads to use.
E.g., cbc -threads 3 ...
uses 3 threads.
There are also special meanings for values larger 100. I copy some text
from John:

The idea was that if 100+n then the heuristics such as RINS which do
branch and bound on a reduced model would also use threads.  If 200+n
then at root node (i.e. before threads are useful) then the cut
generators would be done in parallel.  300+n was meant to be both.
200+n might be a good idea - but may be broken.

>> - Is it currently possible to compile a parallel version of Cbc or is it too early? If yes, what am I doing wrong?
 >

> Works fine for me.

I forgot to say: Don't try something special, I doubt it had been tested
for more than "give a mip - call solve - get solution" ;-).

Stefan

--
Stefan Vigerske
Humboldt University Berlin, Numerical Mathematics