[Cbc] Initial integer feasible solution

Robert Fourer 4er at iems.northwestern.edu
Sat Oct 4 09:33:17 EDT 2008

Pratim,

AMPL includes the initial values of the variables in the file that it writes
for the solver, but it is up to each solver interface to decide what to do
with these values.  Most likely the current version of the CBC AMPL
interface is not making use of the initial values.  CBC's AMPL interface is
not part of the AMPL program; it was written (and may be enhanced)
independently of AMPL.  The source code for the interface can be found with
the rest of the CBC source.

Note that even if you supply an initial incumbent solution to a
branch-and-bound code such as CBC, it will have to build a search tree from
the root.  The initial solution may enable the tree to be pruned more
quickly, though.

Bob Fourer

4er at ampl.com

  _____