[Cbc] markshare1 mip2003 problem

fmargot at andrew.cmu.edu fmargot at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Jun 19 12:58:31 EDT 2007

Rolf:

markshare* problems are designed to be hard to solve by branch-and-cut.
See the paper Cornuejols, Gerard; Dawande, Milind "A class of hard small
$0$-$1$ programs". Combinatorial optimization and network flows.
INFORMS J. Comput.  11  (1999), 205--210.

As far as I know, all generic solvers fail to solve markshare1 in a
reasonable amount of time. Only reformulation work. See for example
the paper

K. Aardal, R. E. Bixby, C. A. J. Hurkens, A. K. Lenstra, J. W. Smeltink
"Market split and basis reduction: Towards a solution of the
Cornuejols-Dawande instances", INFORMS Journal on Computing, 12 (2000) 192-202.

Francois